One of the most precious assets of the local church is volunteers. God has invited all of His children to serve in the body of Christ. “For we are His workmanship, creat- ed in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them” (Ephesians 2:10). While the Nominating Committee annually calls and invites people to specific ministry positions, a Volunteer Ministries Coordinators serves throughout the year to support volunteers, cooperate with the Nominating Committee, and assist ministry leaders in training, affirming, monitoring and evalu- ating volunteers. The biblical term used for this type of ministry is “equipping” (see Ephesians 4:12).
Ministry Department: Administration
Responsible To: Senior Pastor / church board
Duties of the Volunteer Ministries Coordinator
The ministry to which a person is called when he or she becomes a minister of visi- tation can best be described in the following ways:
- To work closely with church leaders in setting up a system to guide volunteers into meaningful places of service in the church.
- To develop a committee/team to assist in a volunteer ministry program.
- To cooperate with existing recruiting methods and programs, such as the Nominating Committee and the Equip seminar.
- To partner with ministry leaders in determining the needs of volunteers.
- To support ministry leaders in training, affirming, and monitoring volunteers.
- To assist in conducting annual evaluations of volunteers.
- To seek to create new avenues and methods for involving volunteers in the church.
- To coordinate an annual volunteers orientation.
- To develop a master list of Ministry Position Descriptions for your church.
To coordinate with a team a church-wide volunteer recruitment, training, and sup- port program.
Leadership, administration, faith, discernment
Talents / desired abilities
Organizational skills, working with committees, interviewing people
[This will vary depending on the size of the church.]
- Large church/paid position: 20-40 hours per week
- Medium church/stipend or volunteer: 10-20 hours per week
- Small church/volunteer: 6-10 hours per week
Length of Service Commitment
Responsibilities in the Local Church. North American Division Corporation of Seventh-day Adventists. Copyright © 1997, Revised 2017. Permission to copy for local church use.