Download the requirements for the Swimming Beginners honor by clicking on the download link above.
Have completed the Basic Water Safety honor.
Complete the requirements for Red Cross Level 3 Swim Level or the YMCA Equivalent
Water Entry Skills:
1. Enter water by jumping from the side of the pool or a dock into a safe area.
2. Headfirst entry from the side in a sitting position.*
3. Headfirst entry from the side in a kneeling position.*
* Headfirst entry should NOT be taught unless the water depth is at least 9 feet.
Breath Control and Submerging:
1. Bobbing while moving toward safety – demonstrate in chest-deep water at least five times.
2. Demonstrate rotary breathing at least 10 times.
1. On front, demonstrate the survival float at least 30 seconds in deep water.
2. On back, demonstrate moving into a back float in deep water and hold the float at least 30 seconds.
1. Change from a vertical to horizontal position on the front, in deep water.
2. Change from a vertical to horizontal position on the back, in deep water.
1. Demonstrate treading water for at least 30 seconds in deep water.
1. Push off in a streamline position, then begin the flutter kick. Kick in streamline position 3-5 body lengths.
2. Push off in a streamline position, then begin the dolphin kick. Demonstrate 3-5 body lengths.
3. Demonstrate the front crawl, at least 15 yards, with good rotary breathing.
1. Demonstrate the elementary backstroke, with smooth finning and whip kick for at least 15 yards.
1. Demonstrate the side scissors kick for at least 10 yards.
1. Reach or Throw, Don’t Go—reaching assists, demonstrate.
2. Think Twice Before Going Near Cold Water or Ice—discuss/demonstrate.
3. Look Before You Leap—understand and demonstrate.
Jump into chest-deep water from the side, swim the front crawl for 15 yards, maintain positions by treading water or floating for 30 seconds and swim elementary backstroke for 15 yards.
Skill Level 1
Original Honor 1944
1. Have completed the requirements for Red Cross level 3 Swim Level or the YMCA Equivalent
2. Complete the requirement for Red Cross Level 4 Swim Level or the YMCA Equivalent.
Skill Level 1
Original Honor 1963