Download the requirements for the Backpacking honor by clicking on the download link above.
1. Discuss with your instructor the meaning of the motto: “Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints.”
2. Know the essentials of proper clothing, shoes, and rain gear to use in backpacking.
3. Know the principles in selecting a good quality backpack. In an emergency, what might be used in place of a backpack?
4. Know the essential items to be taken on a backpack trip.
5. What kind of sleeping bag and pad are best for your camping area? Know at least three kinds of each that are available.
6. Know how to pack a backpack properly.
7. What types of food are best for backpacking? Visit a grocery store and list the foods found there that are suitable for backpacking. With your instructor, do the following:
8. Know the prevention and symptoms of and the first aid for:
9. Have a first aid kit in your backpack and know how to use it.
10. According to your weight, what is the maximum number of pounds you should be allowed to carry?
11. Know three ways to find direction without a compass. Demonstrate at least two.
12. Show the proper way to put on and take off a backpack alone and with a partner.
13. Participate in a weekend backpack trip of at least five miles (8 km) to a site not accessible by a vehicle and cook your own meals.
Skill Level 2
Original Honor 1986
1.Have the Backpacking honor.
2.Have the Orienteering honor.
3.Have the First Aid honor.
4.Review the prevention and symptoms of, and first aid for:
5. Learn and demonstrate proper and safe techniques for crossing streams while wearing a loaded backpack.
6.Practice the following safety procedures:
7.Plan and take the following:
Skill level 3