Bogs and Fens Honor Requirements
- By: Advent Source
- File type: PDF
- Size: 531.7 KB
Download the requirement for the Bogs and Fens honor by clicking the download link above.
Bogs and Fens
1. What is a bog? How is it unique?
2. Where are bogs found?
3. Name six things that are needed for bog formation.
4. Name and describe three different types of true bogs.
5. What is the difference between a bog and fen? What is succession and how do bogs and fens illustrate this process?
6. What are some adaptations of bog plants?
7. What is Sphagnum Moss and how is it vital to bogs?
8. What are carnivorous plants and what makes them bog specific? Name and describe at least two of them.
9. Name and describe five other plants or trees, which are found in bogs.
10. Tell a story about bogs and draw a spiritual lesson.
11. Do at least two of the following activities:
- Visit an exhibit or conservatory of wetland plants, specifically mosses (Sphagnum variety, if possible) and carnivorous plants. Look for how they are adapted to living in poor soil, cold temperatures and lack of nutrients.
- Visit a zoo where there are wetland animals. If possible, observe some of the ones you studied while learning about bogs.
- Watch a DVD or video about bogs, plants or animals that live in bogs.
- Draw or paint a picture of something you had fun learning about while studying bogs.
- Talk to your group, write about or make a short video about a real life bog con-servation project. Explain why this specific habitat should be saved, i.e. endan-gered species of plants and/or animals living there?
Skill Level 2
New in 2014
Bogs and Fens, Advanced
1. Earn the Bogs and Fens honor.
2. Arrange or participate in a service project benefiting a bog or fen community (clean up, help make trails or help others learn about this specific habitat). Write a report about the following things (maps, photographs or drawings may help):
- What bog or fen did you visit?
- When did you visit?
- What did you do there?
- What new information did you learn about this type of habitat beyond what was learned in the basic honor.
- Give information about the specific bog or fen you visited.
- Describe the service project you did (be specific).
- What did you learn about yourself while doing the service project?
- What did you learn about this habitat while doing this service project?
Skill Level 3
New in 2014
Arts, Crafts & Hobbies
© 2020 AdventSource. All Rights Reserved