Download the requirements for the Camping Skills II honor by clicking on the download link above.
Camping Skills II
1. Be at least in the 6th grade.
2. Develop a personal philosophy of outdoor etiquette, such as courtesy to other campers and outdoor conservation.
3. Know and understand the following six W's for the selection of a good campsite:
4. Demonstrate your ability to protect the wilderness and your water source by properpersonal hygiene and cooking sanitation.
5. Participate in a weekend campout.
6. Take part in a camp worship service to include one of the following:
7. Know how to safely light and use a camp stove and lantern.
8. Know safety rules and demonstrate your ability to properly cut firewood. Demonstrate how to break dead wood properly.
9. Using fuzz sticks or shaved sticks, build and know the use of a council or crisscross fire and one type of cooking fire. Review firebuilding safety rules.
10. Explain two ways to keep camp food cool.
11. Build two different camp cranes.
12. Prepare camp meals using boiling, frying, and baking.
13. Demonstrate tent site selection. Properly pitch and strike a tent. What precautions should be taken when striking a wet tent? Properly clean, dry, and store a tent.
Note: The tent color for Camping Skills #2 is red.
Skill Level 1
Original Honor 1997