Download the requirements for the Christian Art of Preaching honor by clicking on the download link above.
Christian Art of Preaching
1. Discuss the reasons / benefits of earning a Christian Art of Preaching Honor.
2. Define homiletic and cite your resources.
3. Define exegesis and cite your resources.
4. Investigate the meaning and history of oratory.
- Define oratory
- Research a few of the great speakers of Adventist history, making a brief report of:
i. A speaker from our early beginnings
ii. A speaker from our modern history
iii. A distinguished speaker in your country
- Cite your sources
5.Briefly describe the following, in terms of a Christian sermon:
- Thematic sermon
- Expository sermon
- Textual sermon
6. Show the appropriate use of these tools:
- Biblical dictionary
- Biblical concordance
- Thematic Study Bibles
- Online sources (Bibles, dictionaries, concordances, study aids, illustrations)
7. Prepare and present a detailed outline of a sermon in writing
8. Do one of the following activities:
- Participate in a course on Christian preaching (obtain a certificate)
- Preach for a church worship (turn in the sermon outline)
- Present a brief summary on an event that the Club or the church participated in. Have the outline of, at least, ten Christian sermons
9. Participate (or have participated) in the preaching at your church (or a district church) at least four times in the period of a year.
10. Obtain, for your personal collection, a book of sermon illustrations.
Skill Level 2
New in 2015
Christian Art of Preaching, Advanced
1. Have the honor Christian Art of Preaching
2. Examine two or more versions popular in your language or area. Include:
- Determine if they are Formal, Dynamic, or Paraphrase translations/versions.
- Discover whether these Bibles were translated by a committee or by an individual.
- Evaluate their accuracy, reliability and readability.
- Discover what the original Biblical languages are. Which version do you feel is most faithful to the original Bible? Why?
- Cite at least three verses that differ greatly from the feel of the versions mentioned in point number two. Know which translation is closest to the original Bible text.
3. Create a small collection of 25 Christian sermons, organized in a booklet format:
- Ten of them should be your own writing.
- The other fifteen can be written by another author.
- The sermons should be grouped in the following categories:
ii. Christian life/Sanctification
iii. Return of Jesus
iv. God’s law/Commandments
4. Preach at least five of the sermons (compiled in the previous item), using audiovisual resources or your own creative ideas.
5. Develop a collection of, at least, 15 short Bible devotionals (5-10 minutes) and use a minimum of five of them in public locations (church, mid-week Bible study group, Sabbath School, club meeting, etc.)
6. Complete one of the following items:
- Present a series of biblical studies (at least ten presentations) to a group of people meeting in the church, in a Bible class, or in an evangelistic series.
- Be on the preaching list of a church during the year and preach, at least, ten times; having participated in every type of worship: Friday, Saturday, and mid-week.
- Be responsible for a period of at least six months of biblical preaching in a small group.
7. Choose two of the following areas and read a book for each one. Cite the bibliography for your instructor.:
- Art of biblical preaching
- The use of illustrations in Christian sermons
- Biography of a great evangelist or preacher
- The use of the concordance and biblical references
8. Have a Bible with references and a concordance (preferably annotated). Demonstrate to an instructor or advisor that you can handle it in the correct fashion.
Skill Level 3
New in 2015
North American Division
Institution of Origin: SAD