Download the requirement for the Cold Weather Survival honor by clicking the download link above.
Cold Weather Survival
1. Know three most important survival items that you can carry in your pocket.
2. Research and discuss the following regarding cold weather apparel:
3. Choose from some of the items on the following list and create your own survival kit that can be carried in a Hydro-pack or Fanny-pack. Tell how each item would be useful.
• Survival whistle
• Fire starter
• Tinder (dryer lint, candle)
• High calorie energy bar
• Flashlight or headlamp
• Pocket knife / multi-tool
• Mylar emergency sleeping bag
• Hand warmers
• First aid supplies
• Compact folding shovel
• This honor sheet
• Rain poncho / small tarp
• Cell phone, GPS, FRS Radio
• Signal flare
4. Discuss the hazards of hypothermia, a condition in which the body’s core temperature drops below the required temperature for normal metabolism and body functions. Body temperature is usually maintained near a constant level of 98–100 °F.
5. Discuss with your group each phrase of the following statement:“One of the most difficult survival situations is cold weather. Cold is a far greater threat to survival than it appears. It decreases your ability to think. It weakens your will to do anything except get warm. It numbs the mind and body. It subdues the will to survive.”
6. Discuss the following:
7. Memorize the hypothermia “Umbles” and which stage they occur in: (Mumble, Grumble, Fumble, Stumble and Tumble).
8. Watch a quality video/documentary on survival and hypothermia.
9. Contact your local search and rescue and ask them to speak to your club.
10. Review and demonstrate the following instructions for survival and rescue.
11. Practice the following survival skills on a club outing:
12. Complete the following group activity or its equivalent within a cold weather survival context.
13. Use the following subjects for worship talks:
• Spiritual Hypothermia
• Spiritually Lost
• Spiritual Preparedness.
14. Memorize at least two Bible texts that you feel might bring you comfort in a cold weather survival situation such as Psalms 34:7 or Matthew 28:20.
Skill Level 1
New in 2012
North American Division