Download the requirements for the Cooking honor by clicking on the download link above.
1. Know how to properly operate the kind of stove you have in your home. Know how to put out an oil or grease fire on your stove. Know how to prevent such a fire. Know safety precautions while cooking, including consideration of small children.
2. Know how to properly use measuring spoons, measuring cups, and if available a electric mixer, a blender, and a food processor.
3. What is meant by boiling, broiling, frying, baking, simmering, waterless cooking, and if available microwave cooking? Which are the most healthful ways of preparing common foods? Which are the most unhealthful ways?
4. Demonstrate your ability to properly prepare two different kinds of hot cereal, a healthful hot drink, and cook eggs in two different ways other than frying.
5. Prepare potatoes healthfully by two different methods.
6. Cook three other vegetables in the most healthful way.
7. Prepare a simple salad. Why do we need fresh salads in our diet?
8. Know the food pyramid guide. Why is it important that we follow the food pyra-mid guide in our diet every day? Make a chart for one week of the foods you eat tosee if you are following the food pyramid guide.
9. Set the table properly for your family for an evening meal. Serve a balanced meal that you have planned and prepared as much as possible by yourself. Include main dish, vegetable, and salad.
10. Follow a recipe correctly in making a vegetarian entree or a vegetable casserole.
11. Start a recipe file of your own. Put into it 10 recipes of dishes you have personally prepared from entrees, vegetables, salads, and beverages.
Skill Level 1
Original Honor 1928
1. Have the Cooking Honor.
2. How many cups make a quart? (How many mls to make a liter?) How many tablespoons to a cup? How many teaspoons to a tablespoon?
3. Prepare two main casserole dishes using macaroni, noodles, beans, or rice.
4. Prepare two different vegetable casserole dishes.
5. Prepare two kinds of salad. How are salads kept crisp?
6. Know the difference in food value between whole milk, lowfat milk, and non-dairymilk.
7. Prepare a balanced breakfast using the food pyramid guide.
8. Prepare a vegetarian entree dish.
9. Plan menus for one week, choosing at least three dishes in which leftovers may be used.
10. Prepare a balanced meal using a vegetarian entree, a vegetable casserole, and a salad.
11. Know several reasons why vinegar is unhealthful.
12. What does caffeine do to the body? List five foods that contain caffeine.
13. Have 25 recipes of personally-prepared dishes, not more than five of which are candies or desserts.
Skill Level 2
Original Honor 1956