Download the requirements for the First Aid Basic honor by clicking on the download link above.
First Aid, Basic
(Instructor for Skills Required)
If residing in the United States or another country where Red Cross instruction is given, satisfactorily pass the Red Cross Examination in Basic First Aid and receive your certificate.
In British countries pass the examination in St. John Ambulance and receive certificatefor the same.
Or complete the following requirements:
1. Know the causes of shock and demonstrate its proper treatment.
2. Know the proper steps for rescue breathing.
3. Know the proper procedures to assist a choking victim.
4. Know the proper procedures to assist a bleeding victim.
5. Know the pressure points and how to correctly apply pressure at these points.
6. Know the proper procedure to assist a victim of poisoning.
7. Demonstrate the proper procedure in splinting various broken bones in the body.
8. Know the proper procedure to assist a first, second, and third degree burn victim.
9. Know the proper procedure to assist a victim of a chemical burn.
10. Know what situations are likely to cause carbon monoxide poisoning and the res-cue and treatment techniques for such poisoning.
11. Know the proper procedure for giving assistance to the victim of a head injury.
12. Know the proper procedure for giving aid to a victim of internal injuries.
13. Know the difference between a heart attack, stroke, epilepsy, and simple fainting, and the treatment for each.
14. Know how to prevent infection.
15. What is the proper treatment for a snake bite?
16. What is the proper treatment for animal bites?
17. What is the proper treatment for insect and spider bites?
18. What is the difference between heat exhaustion and heat stroke, and what is the treatment for each?
19. What should you do if your clothes catch fire?
20. What are the basic fire prevention principles for the home?
21. What are the basic water safety principles?
22. What are the ways to save a drowning victim without swimming?
23. What are the basic electrical safety principles?
24. How can you prevent food poisoning?
Note: The red oval on the patch designates ìbasicî level.
Skill Level 1
Original Honor 1951
Health & Science