Download the requirements for the First Aid Standard honor by clicking on the download link above.
First Aid, Standard
(Instructor for Skills Required)
If residing in the United States or another country in which Red Cross instruction isgiven, satisfactorily pass the Red Cross Examination in Standard First Aid and receiveyour certificate.
In British countries pass the examination in St. John Ambulance and receive certificatefor the same.
Or complete the following requirements:
1. Know the basic principles for mouth-to-mouth breathing and the treatment for an obstructed airway.
2. What is the difference between a heart attack and a stroke and the treatment for each?
3. Know the proper procedure for assisting a bleeding victim.
4. Know the pressure points and how to correctly apply pressure at those points.
5. Know the proper method of applying a tourniquet and when to apply one.
6. Know the causes of shock and demonstrate its proper treatment.
7. Know the proper procedure for assisting a victim of poisoning.
8. Know the proper procedure for assisting a burn victim.
9. Know how to properly apply the following bandages:
10. Know how to apply the following splints:
11. Know the proper treatment for the following:
12. Know what to do in an electrical emergency.
13. Know how to escape from a fire.
14. Know how to obtain help in an emergency
15. Know the proper procedure to assist a radiation-exposure victim.
16. Know the following rescue carries:
Note: The white oval on the patch designates ìstandardî level.
Skill Level 2
Original Honor 1938
First Aid, Advanced
If residing in the United States or any other country in which Red Cross instruction is given, pass the American Red Cross exam in Advanced First Aid and receive your certificate.
Note: The yellow oval on the patch designates "advanced" level.
Skill Level 3
Original Honor 1963
Health & Science