Download the requirements for the Friend of Animals award by clicking on the download link above.
Level: Busy Bee (1st grade)
Section: My World
Friend of Animals
1. Take care of a pet for four weeks.
2. List creatures that live in your neighborhood.
3. Match 10 animals with their houses.
4. Make an animal mask.
5. Play an animal game.
6. Visit one of the following:
7. On what day of creation did God create the animal you cared for?
1. Help each child to learn responsibility and care of a pet. (You may purchase a group pet and take turns caring for it.) Talk about what is good for their pet and what foods, toys, etc. are not.
2. Teach the children to be observant of nature and where to obtain help in identifying animals, such as a library or museum.
3. Play games matching animals and their homes. Use a felt animals and homes set, pictures, etc. Explain an interesting fact about each animal, such as when a crab grows, it needs to find a new and larger home; the turtle’s home grows with the turtle; etc.
4. Let the children choose an animal they enjoy learning about. Using a paper plate, draw and color this animal, cutting eyes so they can see out. You may want to tell a story about animals so the children may take part as the animal they made. AND/OR play the animal sounds game: Someone makes the sound and the animal answers and tells what it is, or everyone guesses.
5. Choose from different animal games, such as animal lotto, animal dominoes, and birds and animals games available at the Adventist Book Center.
6. Talk about what you saw and learned.
7. See Genesis 1:20-2:1.