Download the requirements for the Guitar honor by clicking on the download link above.
1. Research the history of guitars and how they came to your country.
2. Describe or show the difference between melody, harmony and rhythm.
3. Distinguish three types of guitars, according to the following groups. Describe the advantages and disadvantages of each type.
4. Identify the three divisions of the guitar and identify 15 different parts, explaining the function of each part.
5. Demonstrate the correct posture to practice guitar. Explain the importance of practicing in that position.
6. Know the names of the fingers, strings and hand positions. Demonstrate each in its proper way.
7. In standard tuning, the 6 strings on a guitar are associated with which notes?
8. What are the chords (figures) and how are they built? Write by memory a list of all major and minor chords, along with specific finger positions.
9. Demonstrate ability to perform at least seven major and minor chords (ex. A, B, B7, C, D, E, G, F, A minor).
10. Explain the difference between flats and sharps? Show how they are represented for guitar play.
11. Describe the difference between nylon and steel stringing, and explain the reason behind your preference.
12. Demonstrate the use of a capo and how to replace a guitar string.
13. Play a song using at least two different techniques:
Select three simple hymns or spiritual songs that you can play on guitar, and teach them to a unit, club or group
Skill Level 2
Original Honor 2012
1. Have the Guitar honor.
2. Define “Triads” and show how are they used. Demonstrate how to play triads derived from high score notes.
3. Demonstrate two different methods of guitar tuning.
4. Define tablature (tabs). Demonstrate how to read and perform tablature (tabs) on a guitar.
5. Demonstrate how to change the key of a song to fit the vocal range of the singers.
6. Define and explain the differences between consonant and dissonant chord?
7. Practice and perform a solo in at least two scales with the guitar.
8. Create a personal song book of at least 25 hymns and spiritual songs with chords properly written. Play them as part of a song service or performance during a club meeting worship service, worship, or other group function.
Skill Level 3
Original Honor 2012
Arts, Crafts & Hobbies
North American Division
Institution of Origin: SAD