Download the requirements for the maple sugar honor by clicking on the download link above.
1. What part of the world and time of year does the maple sugar industry function and why?
2. Explain how sweet sap is made by the Maple tree and how it is stored over the winter.
3. Identify the Sugar Maple tree by its bark and leaf.
4. How deep into a Maple tree does one drill for best results?
5. How long does it take for a healthy Maple tree tap's hole to heal?
6. How close to an old tap hole can a new tap hole be made?
7. How many taps can be made on a healthy Maple tree without injuring it?
8. Tell how maple sugar is made from maple syrup.
9. What is the ideal weather for sap to flow?
10. Does a Maple tree crown (limb & leaf area) affect the sap flow and sweetness?
11. On an average, how much sap is needed to produce one gallon of syrup?
12. Taste pure maple syrup or maple sugar.
13. Observe and explain what the following maple sugaring equipment is used for:
Skill Level 1
Original Honor 1989
Maple Sugar, Advanced
1. Have the Maple Sugar Honor.
2. Make at least five taps and boil down at least two quarts of syrup.
3. Collect a leaf and bark from two maples.
4. List two usages of the sugar maple other than maple sugaring.
5. What do you look for in tapping a maple tree?
6. When is the right time to tap a maple tree in the spring?
7. Name the four maples that produce sweet sap.
8. What is the size of the drill bit? (2 sizes)
9. How can sap spoil and how is it like milk?
10. What is the maple sugaring legend?
11. Tomake one quart of syrup, how many quarts of sap will you need?
12. How can one tell if syrup is ready or near ready during boiling without a thermometer or hydrometer?
13. How did the early settlers become acquainted with maple sugaring?
14. Visit two sugar operations.
15. Use three recipes and display them at Investiture time.
16. Make one pound of maple sugar candy and explain how it was made.
17. What is maple wax on snow?
18. When the sap is yellow and/or moths collect in the buckets, what does that usually mean?
Skill Level 3
Original Honor 1989