Download the requirements for the snowshoeing honor by clicking on the download link above.
1. Describe the shape and size of three types of snowshoes and when/how they might be used (Aerobic/running, recreation, mountaineering).
2. Describe the following snowshoe accessories and their usefulness while snowshoeing:
3. Demonstrate proper technique of the following while using snowshoes:
4. Explain the principles of maintaining body warmth and dryness through the correct use of proper clothing, under various winter conditions, while traveling and resting. Know how to successfully prevent and treat hypothermia in winter conditions.
5. Explain the safety value of the following practices:
6. Demonstrate how to get up if you are wearing a pair of snowshoes after falling in the snow.
7. Demonstrate the importance of bindings and be able to correctly fasten your boots in the binding of your snowshoes.
8. Take a series of three hikes – a short hike, a one-mile hike, and a two-mile hike. Make a detailed report describing the approximate depth and condition of the snow, animals and fauna, and the approximate speed at which you traveled.
9. Explain the meaning of the term “whiter than snow” found is Psalm 51:7. What other natural metaphors could you use to demonstrate the meaning of this verse?
Skill Level 1
Original Honor 2010
1. Complete the Snowshoeing Honor.
2. Explain 10 different kinds of snowflakes and their influence on snowshoeing.
3. Using one of the following, create a presentation that describes the origin and history of snowshoeing, including the use among native American peoples. List all sources used.
4. Review the basics of Snowshoeing safety as outlined in the Snowshoeing Honor.
5. Do one of the following.
6. Successfully complete two three-mile snowshoe hikes. Make a detailed report describing the approximate depth and condition of the snow, animals and fauna, and the approximate speed at which you traveled.
7. After one of your hikes, write a paragraph exploring the spiritual dimensions of snow. Be sure to include at least three Scriptural references to snow.
Skill Level 3
Original Honor 2010
Arts, Crafts & Hobbies