Download the requirements for the winter camping honor by clicking on the download link above.
1. Earn the Camp Craft Honor.
2. Make up a complete list of necessary camping equipment for winter conditions, such as possible sub-zero (-18oc) temperatures, storms, and snow.
3. Explain the principles of maintaining body warmth and dryness through the properuse of clothing and sleeping gear under all temperatures down to zero while traveling, resting, and sleeping.
4. List and explain the characteristics of winter campsite selection.
5. Describe, or show where possible, the preparation of a level tent site in snow and pitch a tent in winter conditions.
6. Prepare a balanced three-day menu to be used in your winter camping experience.
7. Know how to get water from snow.
8. Know five safety rules of winter camping.
9. Explain the proper steps to take if stranded without equipment in winter conditions.
10. Show knowledge of and ability to prevent, recognize, and care for mild frostbite, hypothermia, mild snow blindness, and dehydration.
11. Spend a total of six days and nights in cold weather camping.
Skill Level 2
Original Honor 1970